Monday, October 1, 2012

Going Gothic in October

There's a lot happening in October and I've been gathering up the books I need for the Classics Club Gothic events and trying to do a little planning and organizing. 

First up is The Ghost Stories of M.R.James - this event is being hosted by Jean @ Howling Frog Books and the goal is to read one short story every day.
M.R.James was a medieval scholar and antiquarian and if his stories reflect these subjects I know I'm going to love them.

Today's short story: Canon Alberic's Scrap-Book


For o @ Delaisse's event I have three titles lined up - one each for the 18th, 19th & 20th century.

The Mysteries of Adolpho by Ann Radcliffe readalong.....as it is divided into four volumes the suggestion is one a week which seems a good idea. I'll be starting this today as well with no idea of what to expect but the thought of the young girls in Northanger Abbey loving it makes me imagine a sort of 18th century Victoria Holt.

Dracula by Bram Stoker......which has been sitting on my bookshelf for three years so it's definitely time I read it. Depending how things go I might make a start later in the week.

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill......originally I borrowed this from the library to read in September so it's due back very soon and I have to read it this week. It's not long so shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not used to reading so many books at once but on the positive side nothing will be finished this week and I can use the time to catch up on a few outstanding posts.

1 comment:

  1. Cat, I wish you the best with all your gothic reading. And I look forward to your thoughts on all those books. :)

    ReplyDelete