Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Library Loot

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Marg @ The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader and Claire @ The Captive Reader that encourages bloggers to share the books they have checked out from the library.

This week I was in one of those moods when I didn't know what I felt like reading and nothing on the shelves was particularly inviting so I chose these three I had noted down and will hope for the best. Then I looked to the non-fiction which I think might be what I need right now and was pleased with both my finds.



Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan - 1972. Serena Frome, the beautiful daughter of an Anglican bishop, finds herself being groomed for the intelligence services in her final year at Cambridge.

The Dinner by Herman Koch - Paul Lohman and his brother Serge and their wives are going out to dinner. ' Funny, provocative and exceedingly dark.' I've seen a few mentions of this one lately so thought I'd try it.

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple - A fifteen-year-old searching for her mother. ' Fresh and funny'. On the Women's prize longlist but one I had decided not to read until Athira's review made me think again.



The Red Sweet Wine of Youth by Nicholas Murray (NF) - I've been reading WWI poetry alongside Birdsong so these brief biographies of the war poets will be interesting.

Gardening Women: their stories from 1600 to the present day. (NF) This sounds lovely and I can't wait to start reading.


What's in your loot this week?


15 comments:

  1. I'm contemplating picking up Where'd You Go, Bernadette on audio. Sandy's review today (http://sandynawrot.blogspot.com/2013/04/whered-you-go-bernadette-maria-semple.html) has me thinking. Enjoy your loot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound as though the audio is great but I'll have to make do with my book - let's hope we both enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. I'm on the hold list for The Dinner and am really looking forward to seeing what I think of it. I've also got my eye on Sweet Tooth, though I find McEwan very hit-or-miss and Gardening Women sounds like something I'd love. Enjoy your loot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about Ian McEwan but I read a positive review and thought I would try it. Really looking forward to Gardening Women .

      Delete
  3. I checked out The Dinner from the library last week and have been enjoying it so far. It's an interest look behind closed doors, almost violating so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started it this afternoon and am finding it hard to put down.

      Delete
  4. I tried to get the Semple book when I was in Melbourne and it fizzled out during its transfer from another library. This is the one I am very keen to read. Looking forward to your reviews on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it sounded a bit chicklit for me but after seeing all the great reviews I think I might be pleasantly surprised.

      Delete
  5. I treated myself to The Red Sweet Wine of Youth the other day because I really have a thing for the war poets. It's an excellent idea to read the poets and this alongside Birdsong. Think of the knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly making it an interesting reading - I feel as though I'm in the trenches myself.

      Delete
  6. Nice loot this week! I read Sweet Tooth last year and kind of liked it/ kind of didn't. It was just okay for me. I would really like to read Where'd You Go Bernadette? since it was just long listed for the Women's Prize, but it's very hard to find a copy in my library system!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not expecting too much from of either of them but we'll see.

      Delete
  7. Ooh, I like the look of the gardening book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of these days I will read Dinner!

    Enjoy your loot.

    ReplyDelete