Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Classics Club Spin #8



Time for another game of chance from the The Classics Club to make a list of twenty unread titles from our list and on Monday 10th November one number will be chosen. The challenge is to read the book that corresponds to the number by Jan 5th, 2015.

My Spin List

Five I really want to read

1. The Fortune of the Rougons by Emile Zola
2. Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
3. The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy
4. The Vet's Daughter by Barbara Comyns
5. Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte

Five that have been on the shelf too long 

6. The Odd Women by George Gissing
7. The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
8. Possession by A S Byatt
9. The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
10. Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray

Five  about the Boys

11. Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy
12. Adam Bede by George Eliot
13. Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton
14. Maurice by E M Forster
15. Dr Thorne by Anthony Trollope

Five by authors I haven't read before

16. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
17. High Rising by Angela Thirkell
18. The Good Companions by J.B.Priestley
19. Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
20. Red Pottage by Mary Cholmondeley

As this spin happens during the very busy holiday season I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be kind and not give me a complex chunkster to read - no Dostoevsky, please!!

16 comments:

  1. Lonesome Dove is quite a chunkster too! I know you would enjoy High Rising. Happy spinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. Overall I think I would be happy with most of my list.

      Delete
  2. What a great list! I loved Jude the Obscure, Dr Thorne and Possession. I have Vanity Fair and The Return of the Native on my list too but at different numbers. Good luck on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the anticipation and I'm sure what ever I end up with I'll enjoy'

      Delete
  3. I should have put The Fortune of the Rougons on my list! Maybe if #1 is selected, I'll pretend I put it there and read it with you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, JoAnn! My copy only arrived here last week so had to add it to my list. I would love if it was the chosen one.

      Delete
  4. Ooo, The Fortune of the Rougons! Are you planning to start the Rougon-Macquart series? They are wonderful reads; I'm on book 4 in Zola's recommended order. Yes, I agree about dreading those chunksters. Especially Dostoyevsky. Those books are better read without deadlines.

    Have a great spin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am. I've read Nana and Germinal and decided now to start at the beginning and can't wait to get started.

      Delete
  5. I'm loving the variety of spin pictures people have found - I was also thrilled to see my AusReadning Month badge on your side bar - thank you so much :-)

    I want to read all 20 books on your spin list too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading everyone else's lists is a big part of the fun of the spin. I don't have any Aussies on my list but still planning on reading a couple of Aus classics this month - all going well!

      Delete
  6. Nice! I have a Comyns book on my list, too. Have you ever read any by her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't as yet and looking forward to this one.

      Delete
  7. Hallo, Hallo fellow clubber! :)

    The stories of which whet my own interest to read based off your choices are as follows:

    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
    Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
    Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

    Gaskell has enchanted me by her accounts left behind on how she lived and how writing took a backset to real-life experiences. Vanity Fair for me is a quintessential choice out of curiosity to read. And, Lonesome Dove I knew was a novel but the mini-series adaptation was on my shelf whilst I was a teen and it just spoke to me! Why I ended up watching the ENTIRE mini-series in one day I'll never know but I combined it with Driving Ms Daisy & Fried Green Tomatoes; emotionally I was gutted but on the joy of finding evoking narratives out of hard-hitting story-lines!? I was all aces!

    I hope you get the one your hoping to read! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Jorie :-) - Both Vanity Fair & Wives and Daughters have been on my shelf way to long. I loved North and South and need to get on and read more of EG's work.
      Lonesome Dove I added as 'something a bit different' so interested in how that will work out.

      Delete
  8. Good luck with your list! I really loved Wives and Daughters when I read it. :)
    http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard anything bad about Wives & Daughters - this is the 8th time it's been on my list so must happen soon! Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete