Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I've read it.....finally!


This is not a review - the last thing this book needs is another review and what can I possibly say that hasn't already been said a hundred times and more.

Death as the narrator is brilliant and as he says  this story, set in Germany during WWII, is a simple one about......
  • a girl
  • some words
  • an accordionist
  • some fanatical Germans
  • a Jewish fist-fighter
  • and quite a lot of thievery
It is about language and the power of words to transform lives . Marcus Zusak does exactly that by aiming his words directly at the heart with an intensity that draws on every emotion. There is laughter and tears, hope and despair, loyalty and betrayal and so much love amidst the hate.

Superb writing, original, creative - a memorable story . And , of course, I loved it!

9 comments:

  1. I enjoyed it too. I look forward to reading Zusak's other books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book and can't believe I waited so long to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess it must finally be my turn to fall in love with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing isn't it. I have decided to read all of his books as quickly as I can. Just finished The Messenger - it was amazing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you loveed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if there's anyone who didn't love it?
    Lisa - don't leave it too long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you loved it. This is a favorite of mine and everytime someone else discovers it I'm so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to read this one too! It has languished in my TBR for like forever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think anyone who has read this book has disliked it. It's a phenomenal read!

    ReplyDelete