Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Tuesday Intros: The Life and Loves of Lena Gaunt

The Life and Loves of Lena Gaunt by Tracy Farr


" All of us are old at this hour, on this beach; the heads in the water are all grey, including mine. Mostly we move gently, we older, early-rising swimmers, the water buoying us in our slow choreography. But if we're all old and stale, still the water smells fresh - somehow like water melon, and salt. It's glorious, the water in the morning, when it's calm like this, when you can just bob on the surface, like a seal, watching. How well it makes me feel, how calm; how light and how heavy at the same time: like heroin - a little bit like heroin."


*****
This is the story of Lena Gaunt: musician, octogenarian, junkie.

A childhood in Malacca and lonely boarding school days in Perth. A fabulous affair in Sydney with the artist Beatrix Carmichael. A glittering career in post-war Europe.

Lena Gaunt's life will be made and broken by those she loves.

Through it all her relationship with music endures.

What did you think of the opening paragraph? Would you keep reading?


*****


Tuesday Intros is a meme hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea which bloggers can join in with by posting the first paragraph (or two) from a book of their choice. 

15 comments:

  1. I like the opener of this a lot. This is a new to me book -- I'll have to look into it further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The author is Australian and I found this title when looking for AusMonth reading.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I thought the last phrase was so unexpected - made me curious for more.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful prose! Lately I have been enjoying stories about older characters "looking back" at their lives...I would keep reading.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy those sort of stories too and this reads very much like a fictional biography.

      Delete
  4. I would need to read a bit more to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the beginning, I would read on. Have a nice week. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it too - quiet until that last phrase which was like a cold wave in the face.

      Delete
  6. I really like this beginning. I'd keep reading! I'm not familiar with this book or the author, so I'll look forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't got too far but it is quite original and beautiful prose.

      Delete
  7. I'm not sure this one's for me, but I hope you enjoy it.
    Here's Mine: http://www.sarahsbookshelves.com/mysteriesthrillers/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday-intro-mr-mercedes-stephen-king/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like all the descriptive language in that first paragraph. This is a new author to me and that's a good thing. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the opening paragraph. I did wonder has she ever taken heroin. Her words seem so personal. I might write the title down. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete