Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Teaser Tuesday - The Botticelli Secret by Marina Fiorato

... a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:


*Grab your current read
*Open to a random page
*Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page

The Botticelli Secret by Marina Fiorato

"Renaissance Italy comes alive in brilliant sights and sounds from marbled halls to filthy sewers. An enticing mystery, historical intrigue and romantic adventure"


My teaser comes from page 2
 
 
 
"  I was dressed in my best, to be sure, for I am always aware of the passing trade. But I happened to be sitting on the balustrade of the river, pissing into the Arno."
 
 
 
 
 
I've only just started this book which has ,according to the blurb on the back,  ' a deliciously irreverent heroine' called Luciana who herself quite happily confesses to being 'a guttersnipe' which is probably a better description. She has a mouth on her that would make any mother reach for the soap.
 
 

14 comments:

  1. Oh yes, she does have one heck of a potty mouth. Just you wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one a while ago... indeed, her mouth is filthy! That does tone down a bit towards the end, thankfully. It will be interesting to see how our reviews compare!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So does the potty mouth take over the enjoyment of the story, or does it fit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read 60 pages but I doubt I can handle 548 pages of this sort of language. It seems to me excessive and unnecessary so yes, I guess it is spoiling the reading enjoyment. It will need to tone down very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a funny teaser. Though 548 pages is a lot of reading if you're not sure you're liking the book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that does take you by surprise a bit. Used sparingly it may be irreverent, but a lot could become trying... ;)

    There is certainly no bad language in my teaser this week from Nemirovsky: http://www.bookloverbookreviews.com/2010/10/teaser-tuesday-all-our-worldly-goods-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cover, but I can only take so much "irreverence," so this one might not be for me. That is definitely an intriguing teaser, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, I had to read it twice, to make sure I read it correctly...I hope that you enjoy your book. Check out my MY Teaser For Tuesday. Happy Reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I guess she's got a mouth on her! ha! Great teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh nice teaser. Looks like a fun read! Mine is at The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! Great Tease - I love it!!

    Here’s my tease:
    http://sunnyreads.blogspot.com/2010/10/teaser-tuesday-soulless.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely caught my attention! I'll have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun teaser! My teaser from Glass Houses (Morganville Vampires) is here.
    xx,
    E.J.
    From the Shadows

    ReplyDelete