Monday, January 3, 2011

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


A weekly event hosted by Sheila at BookJourney


Where we list the books completed last week, the books currently being read and the books we plan to read this week.

Over the holiday season I didn't get time to read much but I did manage these two and as much as I would like to shut the door on 2010 and start afresh they were both so good I do hope to post something about each one even if it's only a mini review.

Black Mamba Boy by Nadifa Mohamed
The Tricking of Freya by Christina Sunley

First Book of the Year!

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis..............I've been saving this one until now when all the family have gone and I can put my feet up and relax. A chunkster at 669 pages I started it on New Years Eve and read into the New Year . I expected it to last for several days but I couldn't put it down and finished it in the early hours of this morning. A great start to 2011's reading.

Currently reading

Rupture by Simon Lelic

I put this one on hold at the library early in December after Jackie from Farm Lane Books chose it as one of her favourite books published in 2010 saying  "I loved the way my initial opinions were slowly changed, leading me to question the way I look at crime and how often the perpetrator is a victim too."


Picked it up the day before Christmas and tucked it aside because it fits nicely into a 2011 challenge .



What I'll read next

The Secret History by Donna Tartt
The Elephant Keeper by Christopher Nicholson

Hope you have some great reading lined up for the week!

11 comments:

  1. Doomsday Book was a good time travel! Such great details of life in the past....made you feel like you were right there! Great way to start your new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never hear of these! Lot of new reads I'm finding. My post is up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious about Rupture, it sounds very interesting! I put it on my TBR list :)

    Hope you have a wonderful week! Mine can be found at:
    http://www.dorolerium.com/?p=2125

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doomsday is massive! I hope you enjoy it - it has been a long time since I read a book that large.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some interesting titles. Hope you enjoy them all Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I havent heard of any of these but 669 page chunkster that you had trouble putting down is indeed a great start to 2011. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 669 pages? WOW, good job! The Elephant Keeper by Christopher Nicholson looks like a good book. I hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. Now you've got me curious as to how Year of Wonders will end! I;m still at the very beginning.

    Looks like you fit in lots of good reading over the holiday break! I have several BIG books I'm trying to fit in early this year - in between book group reads. I've heard great things about The Secret History - can't wait to hear what you think.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't the Doomsday Book great? I also loved it so much. I need to read more by Willis, she obviously is a good writer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for dropping by, everyone! :-)

    The Doomsday Book was great and I look forward to reading more of Connie Willis.

    Crystal - Rupture is proving to be very good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard such good things about the Willis book. I can't wait to read your review of that one.

    ReplyDelete