Tuesday, November 1, 2011
Vintage Mystery Reading Challenge 2012
Bev at My Reader's Block is again hosting this challenge and in 2012 the challenge is all about vintage themes - there are 10 different themes to choose from with the goal being to read 8 books from each chosen theme.
More info and signup here
I plan to tackle two themes which will mean reading 16 books - the difficulty has been in deciding which ones!
But I managed to find a couple of vintage mysteries at the secondhand shop on Saturday and that helped in the final decision. I never make lists beforehand and will add books to my list as I read them.
Theme One - Golden Age Girls -8 books by female authors OR 8 books with female detectives
1. The Beckoning Lady by Margery Allingham
2. The Circular Staircase by Mary Roberts Rinehart
3. The Nursing Home Murder by Ngaio Marsh
4. Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon
5. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
6. Have His Carcase by Dorothy L Sayers
7. The Ivory Dagger by Patricia Wentworth
8. Coroner's Pidgin by Margery Allingham
Theme Two - Lethal Locations - 8 books that are all about place (for instance: country houses, hospitals, schools or even particular cities/countries)
1. Five Red Herrings by Dorothy L Sayers
2. The Grand Babylon Hotel by Arnold Bennett
3. The Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
4. Colour Scheme by Ngaio Marsh
5. The Red House Mystery by A.A.Milne
6. The Watersplash by Patricia Wentworth
7. Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie
8. The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey