Saturday, November 24, 2012
Vintage Mystery Challenge Completed
Thanks to Bev @ My Reader's Block for hosting this great challenge. It had been a long time since I'd read vintage crime and I really enjoyed reaquainting myself with some old favourites and discovering new authors. The extra challenge for me was tracking down the books, many of these authors are hard to find here and I've become a real haunter of secondhand book shops.
For the challenge we had to choose from a list of themes and read 8 books for one theme. I did two and read the following 16 books.
Theme One - Golden Age Girls -8 books by female authors OR 8 books with female detectives
1. The Beckoning Lady by Margery Allingham
2. The Circular Staircase by Mary Roberts Rinehart
3. The Nursing Home Murder by Ngaio Marsh
4. Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon
5. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
6. Have His Carcase by Dorothy L Sayers
7. The Ivory Dagger by Patricia Wentworth
8. Coroner's Pidgin by Margery Allingham
Theme Two - Lethal Locations - 8 books that are all about place (for instance: country houses, hospitals, schools or even particular cities/countries)
1. Five Red Herrings by Dorothy L Sayers
2. The Grand Babylon Hotel by Arnold Bennett
3. The Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
4. Colour Scheme by Ngaio Marsh
5. The Red House Mystery by A.A.Milne
6. The Watersplash by Patricia Wentworth
7. Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie
8. The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey
Great fun............and now I'm off to sign up for 2013.