Sunday, March 31, 2013

Monthly Roundup - March 2013

Happy Easter - I hope everyone is having a great weekend.
We continue to enjoy the late but welcome summer sunshine. Since the week before Christmas we've only had one day of rain and it's only in the early morning now we feel a touch of autumn chill  although with daylight saving ending next week that will soon change.
An excellent reading month with lots of longlists and shortlists offering tempting new titles and hopefully the cooler weather will restore my blogging enthusiasm in April.

Books Read in March = 16
Italics are from my bookshelf or on my Kindle

Classics

Bleak House by Charles Dickens - the second half
The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington - Classics Club Spin
Middlemarch by George Eliot - Book 3
Short Stories by Katherine Mansfield - I reread some of them for the Modern March event but as I never did get a post written I was a total failure as a participant.

Non-Fiction - I should, but seldom do write posts on the non-fiction I read but both of these were wonderful.

Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo
The Pinecone by Jenny Uglow - my March favourite. A biography of a fascinating woman and a fascinating look at life in pre-Victorian 19th century England. Read Jane's review.

Also Read

On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan
Questions of Travel by Michelle de Kretser
Seahearts by Margo Lanagan
Disgrace by Jussi Adler-Olsen
The Lives She Left Behind by James Long
The Red Book by Deborah Copaken Kogan
The Light Between Oceans by M.L.Stedman
Angelica by Arthur Phillips
There Should Be More Dancing by Rosalie Lam
Why Shoot a Butler? by Georgette Heyer
Devil by the Sea by Nina Bawden
Honour by Elif Shafak

DNF - Sufficient Grace by Amy Espeseth
The Prophet by Michael Koryta - I thought this would be perfect Easter reading but oh, dear - too, too much about American football in which I have no interest at all. 30p - boring!

Fiction = 14
Non-Fiction = 2
Library Books = 14
E-books = 1
Off my Shelf - 1

Added to my bookshelf  = 18

17 from the library sale which I listed here and here and...



What Matters in Jane Austen by John Mullan which I was thrilled to win in Lisa's birthday giveaway. With perfect timing it arrived here on my birthday. 

Have a wonderful April!


1 comment:

  1. I'm not into football either... lol...
    Happy easter and happy March reading!

    ReplyDelete