Saturday, August 2, 2014

A Calendar of Coming Events

August

This year Austen in August is hosted @ Lost Generation Reader. Emma is the only Jane Austen I haven't read so this is the ideal time to do it. Alongside I'll have John Mullen's What Happens in Jane Austen and maybe , if I become all Austen-enthused , I'll read Jane's Fame by Claire Harman.

September

Anbolyn is again hosting Mary Stewart Week - September 14 - 21. Mary Stewart died in May of this year so rereading one of her novels will be a fitting tribute to an author I first began reading so many years ago.

A More Diverse Universehosted by Aarti @ Booklust 
  • Read and review one book
  • Written by a person of color
  • During the last two weeks of September (September 14th - 27th)
No genre restrictions this year so you can read whatever you choose. Aarti is also posting book selection ideas - so far Non-fiction  and Historical Fiction. The official signup post isn't up yet - I'll add it here when it appears.

October

Jane @ Fleur in her World is hosting the Margaret Kennedy Reading Week - 6th - 12th Oct 2014. An author whose work doesn't seem to be available here which is why I've never read anything of hers  (a good excuse to shop!) and I'm looking forward to this event.

*****

8 comments:

  1. Oh, you have such a treat ahead with Emma! I can still remember the delight of my first time reading it. And I thought Jane's Fame was fascinating. Shamefully, I still haven't read the Mullen book.

    I am lining up my books for the Mary Stewart & Margaret Kennedy reading weeks. I've managed to find several of Kennedy's books on-line, so I hope you can too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like delving into the John Mullen - he's taught me to read slower and pay attention to the little details. Am loving Emma!

      Delete
  2. I have to say almost the same as Lisa - it's years since I read Emma but I loved Jane's Fame and I have the Mullen lined up.

    The Margaret Kennedy Vintage reissues start next week, so I hope that at least some of them will be available in your part of the world, If not, and if you have a read that can handle epub or pdf or if you don't mind reading online, Open Library has a good selection of her books available for you to borrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have pre-ordered Ladies of Lyndon - it's released earlier than the others so I'll be sure to get it in time. Thanks for the Open Library tip - I'll check that out. Not keen on online reading but I will if necessary.

      Delete
  3. I picked up a Mary Stewart book at the library sale last weekend - I'm ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder which one? I haven't decided yet but it will be one that fills a slot in A Century of Books.

      Delete
    2. Nine Coaches Waiting. I'll post my book sale haul next week :)

      Delete
    3. I'll look forward to that!

      Delete