Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The Spin Winner is...

No 2

Which means I will be reading...


Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell

Oh dear!! It has been on every spin list I've made - I really want to read it and I know I will love it when I do........but not right now.
Obviously the spin fairy wasn't listening to my wish for something short and easy because at over 600p it is one of the longest books on the list.....and I've only just finished Mary Barton by the same author.

I don't own a copy and went over to the library catalogue to place a hold but it seems they no longer have a copy so next stop the Book Depository to buy one but that will be at least two weeks wait. This is definitely a book I want to be able to enjoy at my own pace so am not going to pressure myself into getting it read by a deadline.

You can't win 'em all!

Look forward to seeing what other spinners will be reading. 

10 comments:

  1. I don't think you should pressure yourself either, especially when it's a book that you've been highly anticipating. You need to take your time to enjoy it and not feel rushed.

    I had Wives and Daughters on my list too, but it was number 8 so perhaps I'll get it next time. Or perhaps I just won't be able to wait and I'll read it over the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typical that it didn't appear through all the previous draws and then comes up when I didn't want it.

      Delete
  2. I read this book, it was my first Gaskell, but it was so long ago that I hardly remember anything. I appreciate how blogging helps me keep books straight. And I agree that you shouldn't pressure yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will wait and see how I feel when my copy arrives.

      Delete
  3. I loved this book and I think you'll love it too (it's quite different to Mary Barton) , but it's one you need to read it your own time, and so I'm going to say give yourself the time you need and forget the 'deadline'.

    The BBC adaptation was very good - and true to the book - if you can get hold of a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking forward to it for a long time and am not going to let a deadline spoil it.

      Delete
  4. A wise approach! I loved North and South and hope to read Wives and Daughters before too long myself. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I will - it seems to be much-loved by everyone.

      Delete
  5. I was so excited for you . . . and then I saw that you'd just finished Mary Barton!! Well, maybe if you read something in between, that will enough of a break. And there's nothing wrong with changing the book, it's all just for fun. But if you decide to read it, I hope you'll love it -- it's really wonderful. It's long but I found it a very fast read. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when my copy arrives it will inspire me to start reading and I will have read several other books by then so I'm thinking late May.

      Delete