Saturday, March 20, 2010

Show Me 5 Saturday: Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts by Lucy Dillon


Currently hosted by Jenners at Find Your Next Book Here

1 Book I read..........Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts by Lucy Dillon

2 Words that describe the book.........needing love

3 Settings where it took place or characters you met:

1. Rachel ........who in one short week manages to lose her job, her lover and her flat but on the positive side also inherits from her aunt a rescue kennels in the English country town of Longhampton.
2. Bill & Natalie who are unsuccessfully trying for a baby and adopt Bertie, a fridge raiding, sofa-stealing Basset hound.
3. Zoe, whose ex-husband gives the kids a puppy and leaves her to to pick up the mess.

4 Things you liked and/or disliked about it: 1. I liked the dogs.........they were why I chose to read this book and the story is centred around the running of the kennels, the dogs and finding homes for them.
2. I liked that  although this is very light easy reading there is a whole lot going on. Several relationships , romantic and family, all trying to sort out their problems and the difference that adopting a dog makes to their lives. There's also a mystery about Rachel's aunt to sort out.
3. I liked that this is a book about love and relationships- several romances but also mother/daughter, siblings, friends and of course people/dogs. It's all very warm and fuzzy feel good stuff.
4. If I have a dislike it's a very tiny one - it's all very predictable but one should expect that with this type of book.

5 Stars or less for your rating?

I'm rating it 4 stars................I think this book probably comes into the category of Chick Lit/Romance which is a genre I seldom read so I don't have much to compare it with. I did enjoy it as a quick and easy read when I was tired and it was entertaining. It has also this week won the RNA Award for Romance Novel of the Year so I imagine there are many readers who will enjoy it.
 
************
 

5 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever come across a book about a dog kennel before. And talk about a bad week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must get hold of a copy of this now, glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding this to the list. Sounds like a fun read : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who wouldn't love a basset hound, even if they hog the sofa? SOunds like a fun one with a lot going on. Have a great weekend and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a fun read.

    Hi Bella - welcome!

    ReplyDelete