Sunday, April 8, 2012

A Classics Challenge - April Prompt

April's Prompt - the Book Cover

What are your first impressions as you look at the cover?
Does the book cover have an aspect that reflects the character, setting, or plot of the novel?
If you could have designed the book cover what would you have chosen?


My Antonia by Willa Cather


I'm reading this on my Kindle and I downloaded it from Girlebooks . I do like that their catalogue is not just a list of titles and authors but also offers cover images.

Originally I liked this cover very much and after looking at numerous other covers for My Antonia and having read almost half the story I think it is almost perfect. It captures the essence of Antonia - the woman she became from the girl described early in the book.
" They (her eyes) were big and warm and full of light, like the sun shining on brown pools in the wood. Her skin was brown , too. and in her cheeks she had a glow of rich, dark colour. Her brown hair was curly and wild-looking."
I like that the figure is brought right to the forefront and dominates the picture as Antonia does the story. All that earthy brownness carried through to her dress and the basket portrays a strong and capable young woman who works on the land. She rests for moment and seems to look off into the distance - looking back perhaps, or remembering . Nostalgic memories of childhood is a major theme in the story.

It's a lovely cover and I'm glad I've taken the time to give it some attention. I feel whoever designed it put a great deal of thought into it's creation and the only thing I would change is the background as it doesn't really give the impression of prairie country. I don't know whether it is part of a painting as I couldn't find any information at all about the cover's origins.



3 comments:

  1. You're right, that is a lovely cover. I read the Oxford World Classics edition, it had a rural painting on the cover that did relate to the theme of the book but Antonia didn't look like Antonia! Whoever chose your cover has obviously put a lot of thought into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this cover. It's been forever since I read this book, but that's similar to the image I've carried in my head of Antonia all these years. The face reflects both strength and sadness, which is so fitting for this story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not come across this book, but from what you've posted, the cover seems like the perfect match.

    ReplyDelete