Saturday, September 22, 2012

Book Fair Buys

This week it was our annual Rotary Club Book Fair which is an event I always look forward to and I love joining the early morning queue on the first day and sharing the anticipation. It's always crowded but I was still happy with my bargains......



Fathers and Sons - Ivan Turgenev
To the Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf
Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks
Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray
Picnic at Hanging Rock - Joan Lindsay
The Harp in the South trilogy - Ruth Park
Dear Hearts and Gentle People - Ruth Park
The Virago Book of Such Devoted Sisters
The Watersplash - Patricia Wentworth
The Ivory Dagger - Patricia Wentworth
The View from Castle Rock - Alice Munro
Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier - my one indulgence! Even though I've read this more than once I couldn't resist this lovely old, gold-embossed, illustrated edition.

Day 2 I chose a time when I knew it would be quiet. I wanted to slowly look for the insignificant little gems that tend to get to hidden among the big and bright trade paperbacks and I found....



Coroner's Pidgin by Margery Allingham
An Unsuitable Attachment by Barbara Pym
Clayhanger by Arnold Bennett
A Wreath of Roses by Elizabeth Taylor
Mrs Ames by E.F.Benson
Queen Lucia by E.F.Benson
Mapp and Lucia by E.F.Benson
Dodo Omnibus by E.F.Benson

Very pleased with my purchases - lots of great reading to look forward to! 

9 comments:

  1. oh, you did very well!!! Good for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twenty was my limit and I'm happy with my choices.

      Delete
  2. Lots of great finds for sure, Rebecca for sure. Look forward to the Mystery type reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will have to read Rebecca again - as if I didn't have enough to read.

      Delete
  3. What great book loot! I'm envious of the EF Benson - I've never come across Mrs Ames or Dodo Omnibus (never heard of them actually), and even the Mapp & Lucia books are hard to find these days. I'm very glad to see you found Vanity Fair :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the Benson titles which is why I took them all - I doubt I'd see them ever again.

      Delete
  4. Lucky you! The Barbara Pym and Elizabeth Taylor are most exciting to me of your finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are to me too , and the E F Benson titles - very seldom see them here in NZ.

      Delete
  5. Love the look of the e-book And congrats on your Book Fair

    ReplyDelete