Monday, September 8, 2014

I've been reading....

.....but haven't been blogging and suddenly the first week of the month has gone . I need to write reviews but I don't want to write reviews - I just can't seem to do anything but stare at a blank draft page. the minutes tick by and I achieve nothing. I hope this procrastination and avoidance will soon pass because I have books I really do want to talk about. Until then -  a post about reading instead.
Last week I read....

The View from Castle Rock by Alice Munro which is a fictionalised account of the author's family history. From her ancestor's view from Edinburgh's Castle Rock in the 18th century, to her parents life in Ontario and her own Canadian childhood it's sure to appeal to anyone , like me, who has an interest in family history. Enjoyable reading.

I finished Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev - my Classics Spin read - hopefully I will manage to finish the review I've begun in the next few days.

Unexpectedly we decided to go away for the weekend. This year Fathers Day and No 3 son's birthday coincided so we went and had a lovely celebratory couple of days. On the Saturday I spent several hours alone and finished the book I took with me.


Summer House With Swimming Pool by Herman Koch. I liked his previous book The Dinner but this one, ugh, not at all. That I read it all in one afternoon is an indication of a lot of skimming and if I'd had anything else with me more than likely it would have been a DNF. Modern fiction is not appealing at all right now.

Last night I finished Crazy Pavements by Beverley Nichols which was not at all what I expected( so much better) and definitely deserves a post.

Reading this week...


The Swallows of Kabul by Yasmina Khadra
Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart
The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

The first two are for events that don't start until next week but I fear if I leave the reading until then I will never get any of them reviewed so I'm making an early start.

Another job for this week is sorting out which books I want to donate to the annual charity Book Fair which will be held during the first week of October. 


Happy reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment