Monday, September 29, 2014

Very mini, mini-mentions

A quick mention of the last of September's reading before tomorrow's roundup.

The Map of Love by Ahdaf Soueif

The second book read for Diversiverse - in 1900 Lady Anna Winterbourne travels to Eygpt where she falls in love with Sharif, and Egyptian Nationalist. A hundred years later, Isabel Parkman, a descendant of Anna and Sharif, goes to Egypt, taking with her an old family trunk, inside which are notebooks and journals written by Anna.
What I loved best about this book was the history and the descriptions of Egypt - very detailed and beautifully written. I did think Anna's love story was a bit too happy ever after as I'm sure there would have been huge cultural and religious difficulties to overcome. 

The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters

I enjoyed it but.........I thought it was too long and, dare I say
it, I found myself skimming through the middle having got very tired of the romantic relationship. I liked the 1920's background but this will never be my favourite Sarah Waters. Overall, slightly disappointed.

Am I the only one noticing the elephantine proportions these latest releases are taking on? Hard on the hands and impossible to read in bed. 

Her by Harriet Lane

A psychological thriller which is best summed up in the words of one of the characters.
"- turns less on shocks or theatrics than on the small quiet moments, misunderstandings or disappointments, the things that it's easy to overlook."

Two women from two different worlds meet but this isn't the first time their paths have crossed. Nina remembers.....Emma doesn't.

Fortunately only 234p long as I found the suspense  enough to keep me reading into the night until I finished.

A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle

I had never read any Sherlock Holmes before this which is surprising considering my love of crime fiction but this one was in the same volume of stories as The Turn of the Screw so I decided it was time. I'm glad it turned out to be the first in the series as I enjoyed hearing about Dr Watson's background and then watching the famous pair at the beginnings of their relationship. 
Quite a surprise to find myself in America among the Mormons halfway through but all good fun and enjoyed it immensely and will definitely be reading more Sherlock Holmes adventures.


No comments:

Post a Comment