Friday, October 3, 2014

A Classic Haul from the Fair

My first visit to this week's Book Fair was a little disappointing. Usually I manage to find a few gems hidden among the mass of contemporary trade paperbacks but despite two circuits of the tables the best I could do was The Pop Larkin Chronicles by H.E.Bates. As well as the five Pop Larkin books it has 16 pages of colour photographs from the TV series The Darling Buds of May which will bring back lots of memories so I'm well pleased with that purchase. Next - the Classics table from which I wasn't expecting much.... 


.....but did find enough to fill a bag and I could go home happy. In a recent Tuesday Top Ten three posts in my reader praised the same book so I was delighted to spot that one and two more by the same author.

The Painted Veil by William Somerset Maugham
Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham
The Moon and Sixpence by W. Somerset Maugham

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh
Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe
The Good Companions by J.B.Priestley
Sons and Lovers by D.H.Lawrence
Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Voss by Patrick White

Depending on how the weekend goes I might go back for a second look on the off chance that there might be some worn but much wanted mid 20th century paperbacks that have found their way onto the tables. 



No comments:

Post a Comment