Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Review: The Proof of Love by Catherine Hall

The Proof of Love first came to my attention when I read a review of it at Savidge Reads and what he wrote was a carrot that this reader couldn't resist. I hope you'll take the time to go and read it too because I know any review I attempt won't do it justice. When I read a book I think is brilliant, that makes such an impact I want the world to know about it, I really struggle to find the words to express how I feel. This is one of them.

It's about - a young Cambridge mathematician who, during the long hot summer of 1976, cycles into a remote village in the Lake District and takes a job as a farm labourer, Painfully awkward and shy, Spencer Little is viewed with suspicion by the community and his only real friendship is with scruffy, clever 10-year-old Alice. When he saves Alice from a mountain fire, he begins at last to feel accepted, but as he is drawn deeper into the lives of others, he also becomes aware of their secrets - and of the difficulty of keeping his own.

Every element of the book, the setting, the characters, the story, the descriptive prose is perfectly balanced. Beginning quietly , the beautiful writing slowly drew me in until suddenly I realized an atmosphere of tension and suspense was very subtly and skilfully being created that had me completely emotionally invested in the outcome.

The best this year! ........so far.

The Proof of Love is one of eight titles chosen for the inaugural Fiction Uncovered literary promotion.

Genre: Literary Fiction
Publisher: Portobello Books, 2011
298p

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I'm putting this on my TBR list.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your review had me on the edge of my seat, this sounds totally captivating. Great review

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to say thank you so much for the lovely review! It really made my day.

    Catherine Hall

    ReplyDelete