Monday, July 28, 2014

This 'n That...


...or, how to avoid writing the book review I know I should be writing! 

I finished - The Fortunes of Richard Mahony. I want to climb a mountain and shout its praises to the world it is so very good........and I will write a review very soon. It's one of those books that leave you satisfied but exhausted and needing time before starting anything else too demanding. 

Also worth mentioning - You Should Have Known by Jean Hanff Korelitz



I'm reading - The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame


Perfect choice as I unwind. Much loved, much read - an old friend.

Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively - has an unusual structure and this lady certainly has a way with words.

I bought.......a signboard on the street proclaimed 'Secondhand bookshop now open' so naturally I had to go and take a look. I didn't have much time but still managed to come away with three and I know I'll be regular customer.



In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden
News From the City of the Sun by Isabel Colegate
Washington Square by Henry James

As I added them to my bookshelf list I couldn't help but notice how few I've read in the last 6/8 months.....which led to some sorting and organising......and a promise to myself -

I will be reading less library books and more off the shelf with the goal of finishing A Century in Books and making progress with my Classics Club list
This week I hope to finish off the 1980's with Moon Tiger, Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter and A Taste for Death by P.D.James.


6 comments:

  1. I ha center had In This House of Brede on my mind all day, probably because I watched a few minutes of The Nun's Story with Audrey Hepburn yesterday. I don't know Isabel Colegate, but that cover would make me want to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thrilled to find the Isabel Colegate. If you haven't read anything of hers I highly recommend The Shooting Party.

      Delete
  2. I have You Should Have Known on my kindle (they had a special deal not too long ago), so I'm glad to know you liked it! Moon Tiger has been on my wish list for literally years, and I read Washington Square a couple of years ago right after seeing The Heiress (with Dan Stevens!) on Broadway... it's very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will like You Should Have Known - I hadn't read anything of the authors before but will be looking out for her earlier books. I found a copy of Moon Tiger at the Book Fair - it's one I've been meaning to read for years too.

      Delete
  3. I used to love The Wind in the Willows but haven't read it since I was a child. It could be time for a re-read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really is lovely. My father read it to us as children, I read it to my children and now I read it myself for myself. Very relaxing and the E H Shephard illustrations are delightful.

      Delete