Monday, August 1, 2011

Monthly Roundup - July 2011


Another month gone and this one has been my best reading month so far this year. As you can see from my red star list below I've read some fantastic books - a great result from my decision to stop being so influenced by what others are reading and follow my own path....... which isn't as easy as it sounds.
I was in the mood for crime and suspense at the beginning of the month so allowed myself to indulge in that genre (and still am) and whatever else took my eye.
A bit behind with reviews but that's the result of it being school holidays with family and grandchildren coming and going these last two weeks.

Books Read in July = 14

* Red Stars = my favourite reads for the month, all of which I recommend.

*The Proof of Love by Catherine Hall
*Dark Side by Belinda Bauer 
*The Three Evangelists by Fred Vargas
*What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty
*Daughters-in-Law by Joanna Trollope
*Madame Tussaud by Michelle Moran
*When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman (review to come)
*Mercy by Jussi Adler-Olsen (review to come)

The Hypnotist by Lars Keplar
Lunch in Paris by Elizabeth Bard
You're Next by Greg Hurwitz
The Echo Man by Richard Montanari
Beneath the Shadows by Sara Foster
The Calling of the Grave by Simon Beckett

DNF ............ Sanctus by Simon Toyne - not the books fault. It's a conspiracy type thriller and I simply wasn't in the mood for it.

Global Reading
UK - 6
France - 3
USA - 2
Sweden - 1
Denmark - 1
Australia - 1

Shantaram Readalong continues and we're almost finished. I have about 150 pages of this wonderful book to go.


Thanks to Karen from Book Bath and Tamara from Thyme for Tea for hosting Paris in July. I didn't get nearly as much reading done or posts written as I'd planned but enjoyed reading everyone's else's contributions.My posts included...

Overall I plan on continuing as I am...........but!!!!

I'm excited...........our NZ dollar has never been so strong against the US dollar so I've taken advantage of this opportunity and bought myself a Kindle ereader and  hopefully this time next week it will have arrived . I can't imagine it ever taking the place of 'real' books but my son got one recently and loves it so we'll see. While I wait I need to catch up on some of those reviews.

Hope everyone will have a great August!




8 comments:

  1. Great month! Happy August reading!

    http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2011/07/july-monthly-news.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. 14 books is impressive. I really want to read What Alice Forgot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaaaay I can't wait to see what you think of your Kindle, love mine.

    You had an amazing month of reading, that many * wow and great for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Freda - hope your August is great too.

    Lola - I'm sure you'll love What Alice Forgot.

    Marce - I hope I'll love mine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, a Kindle! How exciting!

    I love my ereader!

    Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had a great July. I hope your August is as good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had a great month in books (haven't read any of these).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing monthly roundups for folks -- so interesting! I love reading by mood -- it's fun to just wallow in a genre or era sometimes. I've got Madame Tussaud in my TBR so glad you enjoyed it and When God was a Rabbit -- that means I've got good reads to look forward to! ;)

    ReplyDelete